Area-Based Audit of Forest Planning and Practices, and Enforcement of the Forest Practices Code in a Portion of the Kispiox Forest District
This is the Board’s report on the area-based audit of licensees’ compliance with, and government’s enforcement of, the Forest Practices Code of British Columbia Act and related regulations, in the western portion of the Kispiox Forest District. As of April 1, 2003, the Kispiox Forest District was incorporated into the new Skeena Stikine Forest District.
The audit examined field activities and obligations of the following parties for the period of July 1, 2001, to July 25, 2002, to determine compliance with Code requirements:
- Kispiox Forest District, including responsibilities of both the Small Business Forest Enterprise Program (SBFEP, now the BC Timber Sales Program) and the district manager
- Bell Pole Company
- C GED Forest Products Ltd.
- Canema Timber Ltd.
- Kipiox Forest Products Ltd.
- Kitwanga Lumber Co. Ltd.
- Skeena Cellulose Inc. (now New Skeena Forest Products Inc.)
- Five woodlot tenure operators
The audit also examined the appropriateness of government’s enforcement of the Code, including planning, management direction and operational activities related to enforcement, for the period July 1, 2001, to July 25, 2002. The activities of two Code enforcement agencies, the Ministry of Forests and the Ministry of Water, Land and Air Protection were examined. There were no activities within the audit area for which the Ministry of Energy and Mines had enforcement responsibilities.